Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Department of Chemical Engineering

M.S. Chemical Engineering


Students interested in full-time study for the Master's in Chemical Engineering have the option to obtain an MS degree from coursework only, or an MS degree from a combination of coursework and the successful defense of a thesis based on independent research. Students who pursue the latter option are eligible to apply for departmental research awards to help fund their research. To foster partnerships with local industry (e.g. , Kodak, Xerox, Bausch & Lomb, etc.), the Department offers most of its graduate courses in the late afternoon or evening to allow engineers and scientists employed full time to pursue the M.S. degree on a part-time basis. The typical time required to complete an M.S. degree is two years for a full time student. Our graduate handbook provides additional details on the requirements for the masters degree.  

The requisite background in chemical engineering is normally provided by a series of courses in each of the following areas: Thermodynamics (CHE 225), Heat and Mass Transfer (CHE 244), Fluid Dynamics (CHE 243), Separation Processes (CHE 250) and Reactor Design (CHE 231). These requirements are automatically satisfied by a BS degree in Chemical Engineering.  Those graduate students who do not have an undergraduate degree in chemical engineering may satisfy these minimum engineering requirements by taking at least two undergraduate courses in the aforementioned areas. These courses may all be included as part of the student’s advanced degree program and are valued at three graduate credits a piece and no more than two such courses can be credited towards the MS degree.

The program for the MS degree should include at least three courses from the core areas:
    Advanced Transport Phenomenon
    Advanced Thermodynamics
    Advanced Mathematics

PLAN A: All students who pursue the MS degree (Plan A) are expected to earn 30 hours of credit of which at least 18 should be formal coursework acceptable for graduate credit.  The balance of credit hours required for the degree is earned through the MS reading and/or research credits. Satisfactory completion of the Master’s thesis is also required for the degree independent of satisfactory completion of the research courses.

PLAN B: All students who pursue the MS degree without thesis (Plan B) must earn a minimum of 32 credit hours of coursework acceptable for graduate credit. At least 18 of these credits should be taken from courses within the department.  Overall, no more than 6 credits towards the degree may be earned by research and/or reading courses.  The additional courses in the Plan B program are intended to compensate for the elimination of the thesis as a degree requirement.  Plan B students are required to pass a written exit exam. 

Graduate Programs